SC - types of kitchens

Jeanne Stapleton apiskp at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 01:41:05 PST 2000

Whoa!--not seeking to disrupt any playful
bavardisement
about Pelican and Laurel kitchens, but...why the
creation of yet another false dichotomy?

What about someone who is both, for example? as head
cook.

I know that I was once approached by someone who
thought they were being both clever and complimentary,
and complimented on serving a "Pelican feast"--the
only catch was that, in the local jargon, "Pelican
feast" while implying on time and at the proper
temperature, etc., also had an underlying subtext of
"the food wasn't period and the cook didn't care"--
and that wasn't true.  The cook (myself) worked damned
hard to make as much period as possible, and cared a
lot.

I still take the compliment in the spirit I think it
was intended--they were trying to do something nice--
but I also find myself trying at every turn to point
out on occasions like this that the two aims are *not*
mutually exclusive and both should be striven for.

Berengaria