SC - Re: Botulism and honey

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 07:55:36 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/15/00 7:52:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< I was surprised to learn that most botulism poisoning is of infants under
 the age of 1 and usually comes from feeding them honey!  I wonder how many
 infant deaths in period were due to some midwife or nanny feeding junior
 honey to "sweeten" him up only to have him die of botulism poisoning.  I
 imagine it still happens among some "natural food" proponents who haven't
 stumbled on this fact!
    Thank you for the "learning experience"!

People to this day feed their infants honey, and they die. It is still not
universally accepted that the bacteria in honey is deadly to infants who
cannot digest it, although it is harmless to adults. My MIL, didn't know
that, my own mother either, I knew for some odd reason though, read it
somewhere before having children. Thank goodness.

And as for the learning experience, thank you too!

Hauviette