SC - kojel

David, Tracy tdavid at Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU
Wed Mar 15 08:11:09 PST 2000

Most commercial gelatins are derived from sources other than meat.  gelatin
sheets for pastry work are most commonly derived from vegetable sources.

- -----Original Message-----
From: Seton1355 at aol.com [mailto:Seton1355 at aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 8:25 PM
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: SC - kojel

Some Jews hold that if a food is so decomposed that a dog wouldn't eat it,
it
is no longer considered food.  Some believe that gelatin falls into this
catagory.
<< sn't it a discussion here not too long ago
 where we talked about jello?  I seem to recall the idea being that once
 the protien had gone through every process necessary to make it gelatin,
 it was significantly changed from it's original form, and therefore
 kosher and not meat?   >>