SC - Phillipa and her d*mn project <giggle>

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 08:29:40 PST 2000

Hi Everybody!

Listen, I'm just in the process of reorganizing my period recipes.  Slowly,
I'm going through them and  rediscovering the ones I can eat "as is".  For
others I am making substutions for food items I cannot eat.  Some recipes are
totally out because by the time I remove all the bits I cannot eat, it just
isn't "that dish" any more, no how!

I have NEVER presented my dishes as period.  Anyone who has spent any time
with me, or seen me cook,  (Ras, you there?) can attest that Phillipa only
measures ingredients when she is forced to, and has always used written
recipes as "suggestions".

And by the way, I feel that there is a lot of leeway in a written recipe.
Because before it was written down, the cook made it according to "feel" and
another cook made it according to his or her "feel" for the recipe.

Just look at how we make modern food.  We each have basicly the same recipe
but we each make the recipe "our own".  I'm sure the same thing went on "in
period".

My feeling is that I am cooking for my own pleasure and if you don't want to
eat what I have prepared it's OK by me.

In the feast kitchen setting I have followed orders and done exactly what I
have been told to do. (I ususally end up washing pots!!)  If I were to post a
recipe on the kitchen door / at troll for a feast I would have previously
worked out the ingredients etc and I would not veer from the posted recipe at
that point.

I have not yet volunteered to organize and cook a feast so I don't think any
of my recipes are a problem.  Remember good gentles, I am doing this whole
exercise for purely selfish reasons:  I want to eat a feast!!  Any recipes I
come up with will be eventually posted with my notes and at that point you
may use the recipes or declare me crazy.... whatever!

If "Joe Blow" in five years time is using one of my recipes and calling it
period,  then Joe is a moron and can't read the disclaimer I put on my work.
Since I cannot control other people's actions I'm not really going to worry
about it.  I think will have done my part for Crown and Country as it were.

Now, I need to get back to organizing my recipes so I'll talk to y;all later.
Love, Phillipa
PS: I have started Passover cleaning under a new and previously unused rock
quite near the cathederal.  Anyone who wants to join me there is welcome...
just leave your "hametz" at home!
<< As long as it is properly presented as an exercise in
 speculation, she'll be fine, for a while, at least. Overreliance might
 well be defined by the above scenario. If Lady Phillipa should lose
 control of the spread of the information she's responsible for, I'd say
 that would constitute backfiring. >>