SC - Competition entry

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 16 04:46:40 PST 2000

And the really funny thing is that not only is it not period, as far as
I can tell, but it is quite atypical of the many other hypocras recipes
I've seen. I don't mind that, of course, but we probably have people
believing that "May's English Cream" is what people are talking about
when they speak of hypocras.

I think the biggest problem with a lot of guild-based brewing
comps/judges (and the problem is not necessarily connected to being
guild-based, it's just that in my experience it's mostly the guild
members who have this problem) is the assumption that since brewing is a
period art, anything one cares to brew is a period artifact. Kinda like
the dubious portrayals of Henry VIII eating whole legs of mutton with
his hands and throwing the bones over his shoulder being indicative of
early 16th-century eating practices, and therefore of our entire
period's eating practices. So many brewers are simply ignorant of the
characteristics of period brewing styles, but they sure can tell you how
well your brew stacks up against Bass and Guinness, and will
indiscriminately use judgement criteria for brews created in the
eighteenth and nineteenth centuries to judge brews created in the
sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.

Adamantius Harumph