SC - salty bacon

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 16 14:41:55 PST 2000

Marian Rosenberg wrote:

> At the grocery store this Sunday, we found non refrigerated bacon
> cheaper than the refrigerated stuff.  The first batch fried up needed to
> be chopped up and mixed well with scrambled eggs and fried green onions
> to be palatable.  The second batch was rinsed both before and after
> cooking as the salty flavor was still so strong.  But this also rinsed
> off all the other spices on it.  Does anyone have any suggestions of
> what could be done to get rid of the salt and not deprive to bacon of
> the other spices?

You can either a) rinse it through a strainer to save the spices, soak
and/or parboil to desalt, then add the spices back in the final cooking,
or b) cook it with something that can absorb a fair amount of salt,
like, say, potatoes.

I'm not familiar with salt bacon with spices. At least not in practice.
It sounds like it's heavily corned. In which case you could always boil
it with cabbage and potatoes, leeks and such, and serve it with brown
bread and butter, maybe mustard. It just occurred to me that this may be
some kind of corned boiling bacon gotten in for St. Patrick's Day,
especially since corned beef was not considered an especially Irish food
until quite recently -- say, the past hundred years or less.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com