SC - Babies have taste buds

RichSCA at aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Fri Mar 17 04:43:56 PST 2000

I must have missed this thread.  Must have run while I was between Arkansas
and Texas.  :-)

Just a quick comment.  After having my first baby (a girl) I lived just north
of the Mexican border in Arizona and I LOVE Mexican food.  I soon learned
that if I ate my favorite spicy tacos she would NOT nurse. I asked the doctor
if this was my imagination and was told that babies have taste buds and some
foods/spices can come through the mother's milk and some babies won't nurse
if they don't like it.

I knew that certain diets that cows eat can alter the flavor of the milk.
Have tasted the difference myself, but I never knew that human babies cared.
Crystal (my first baby) would have been SOL if I had been born and raised in
Mexico.  She would have starved.  :-)

Rayne

<<
 >I recently read that babies are basically born without taste preferences
 >(i.e.: no taste buds) and develop these in the first five years of their
 >life.

 I'm sorry, but even though this thread is several weeks old (I'm trying
 really hard to catch up!) I feel that I MUST comment on this!  Babies most
 certainly DO have taste buds!!  They have about TEN TIMES as many taste
 buds as adults have, by the age of 6 I think the number of taste buds are
 down to half that, and by age 10 (I think, the exact age level escapes me)
 they have only Twice as many as adults.  At puberty, the tastebuds have
 reached their adult number.  The big difference is that babies taste buds
 are almost entirely attuned to Sweet (as oppose to sour, bitter and salt;
 the other 3 of the 4 flavors that the tounge detects) so that they will
 crave their mother's milk.

 -Laurene