SC - Evolution of food-genetics of food

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Mar 17 19:13:29 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/17/00 5:15:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rachel at witchwood.prestel.co.uk writes:

<<  Incidentally I don't eat
 GM food only organic. >>

I eat organic food also but I really miss my tomatos with the codfish gene.
They were able to withstand considerable freezing without discernible damage
and were very flavorful. I am a 'science' person at heart in that I really
don't see advancement as 'unnatural,' Man is part of nature so his ability to
manipulate nature is a 'natural' function, IMO. I fully support genetic
research and biotechnology. I think it is important to preserve the things
from before but don't see them as the 'source' of rightness that so may
others apparently do.

Historically, many scientific advancements were seen as somehow inherently
'evil' but thank Goddess, cooler heads prevail and I am able to have
electricity and all the other wonderful 'unnatural' things that make my life
so much easier.

I also disagree that the short, even insignificant time span, since the
middle ages has produced any significant genetic changes naturally that
really make any difference in taste or appearance of basic species. Science
may have produced significant alterations but most certainly nature has not.

Ras