SC - Getting the general populace to eat "period dishes"

RichSCA at aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Mon Mar 20 06:34:22 PST 2000

I KNOW that I mentioned this in the middle of another Thread, but I can't
find it and if I can't, I figure you'all can't either.  So... I am going to
try again.

A recent past discussion centered around people (no names or titles, please)
that are of the opinion that period dishes are: (1) not for modern tastes
(2)  Do not taste good (3) are not prepared well  (4) just plain suck.

My question was how does the general populace at a feast even know that they
are eating period dishes?  Now, I have seen this part of the question
answered in basically two ways... (1) The Cook is known for preparing only
period feast s and/or (2)  A menu stating such is posted before the feast.

Now both of these work for _some_  of the populace, but not the person who is
of the opinions above (especially number 4) if they avoid eating at period
feasts (and I know of people that do this - they go to a local restuarant or
bring their own food, rather than eat the feast) OR they skip the dishes that
they KNOW are period without even trying them.

Now some may think... "so what? It's their loss".  BUT if we care to educate
them.  If we want the populace to appreciate period dishes.  If we desire
those in "authority" to support our endevors, we need to get them to try the
stuff.

Again.. the question.  The best way that I can see to handle this is (at some
feasts) in some areas where this is a problem - Prepare all feast with period
foods and introduce period dishes WITHOUT announcing in advance that they are
period.  Just cook and serve the food.  Let the people eat unaware of the
history of the dish(es).  Then, went all is said and done... let the populace
know what was period. That way they have at least tried it.

Rayne
Meridies
(Hey, I had to be tricked into eating all sorts of things growing up)