SC - OOP My First Fea^Dinner

Marian Deborah Rosenberg Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Mon Mar 20 09:09:53 PST 2000

Greetings,

  I'm only cooking for 5-6 people so it doesn't quite count as a feast.  At the
very least it counts as my first dinner party.

  I'm writing an article (for money) for my school's monthly newsmag on how to
cook real food cheaply on a college studnet budget.  One meal will be
carnivorous, one will be vegetarian, and one will be vegan.

  Tonight is the first, and fanciest of the meals.  I have a $20 budget to work
with and an undeterminate number of people showing up since my fellow students
don't believe in RSVP.  (Hopefully about 5.)

Salad -
  Leaf Lettuce and Radicchio.  Sliced green pepper and onion.  Chopped tomato.
Crumbled hard boiled egg.  Parmesan and black pepper and a home made oil and
vinegar dressing.
Appetizer -
  Home baked bread topped with tomato and garlic bruschetta.
Main Course -
  White lasagna with spinach.  Cheeses will be ricotta, good parmesan, and
mozarella.
Dessert -
  Phyllo pastries.  Probably peaches and walnuts but maybe thin sliced apples,
I still haven't decided.

Tomorrow I have a $10 budget.

Salad -
  Something simple, probably just leaf lettuce and some onion and a dressing.
Side Dish -
  Herb and mushroom rice
Main Dish -
  Chicken broiled in white wine and herbs
Dessert -
  Baked apples stuffed with dried apricots, sultanas, walnuts, and raisins.

For the $5 budget -

Main Dish -
  Spaghetti and diced onions in home made tomato sauce.
Dessert -
  Canned peaches

My budgets here reflect what students can expect to pay at the local grocery
store, which is one of the only games in town and not exactly well priced.  I
did most of my shopping over Spring Break while in Baltimore and also went up to
a local orchard where I got my fruits and veggies very very cheap.