SC - cooking times

margali margali at 99main.com
Mon Mar 20 14:54:45 PST 2000

I think that they mean that instead of spending 2 days making and
reducing a stock, use bouillion cubes or the like: instead of smashing
walnuts into a paste to make white sals, get a box of dehydrated
humus[Hi Caer Frig!!!] and instead of schlepping home canned beef and
freh veggies [hi Ras!!] use the backpackers pantry dehydrated beef
glop...

Us fools in Caer Frig smashed walnuts and partook of Ras' wonderful
canned meats and schlepped along lots of real ingredients, and ate
wonderfully!

I would suggest that you check into period foods that are still sort of
convenient-like the instant couscous Ras brought, or the Uncle Ben's
brand instant rice pilaf, a good quality meat glaze[IIRC I brought both
beef and chicken] and unless you are camping where everything has to be
schleped in so weight and space are of really deep concern, you can take
canned meats and fresh veggies along. If weight is a big deal, then use
bouillion cubes, dehydrated veggies and dehydrated meats, instant grains
and pastas, and dried milk and eggs.

You can make a respectable custard out of dehydrated whole milk and
dehydrated whole eggs, spices usually dont weigh that much, and they
even have a dehydrated butter! Mix up a custard with milk eggs and a bit
of oil, puor into an oiled skillet and cover, cook gently and turn out
onto a plate.Garnish with honey and pepper and you have Aliter Dulcia
from apicius[or is that the refried much with honey you can fake out by
using cream of wheat cereal made thick, and sliced then refried...]

In othr words, get creative!
margali

I recently heard the notion that (this was for camp cooking) "if you are
short on time you may have to forgo period in favour of quick". Assuming
that evil things like instant rice/pasta and Ramen noodles are banned by
definition, and that I do take shortcuts like buying pasta and using
stock cubes, anyone who can offer some comments or arguments?