SC - Riccotta cheese

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 21 08:23:55 PST 2000

RANDALL DIAMOND wrote:

> When I found the snail section in Platina, nearby
> I noted a recipe for "Articificial Recota".  Is this
> faking the cheese we know as riccotta today
> or something else?  It is interesting, because
> riccotta is a secondary cheese product made
> from the whey after the solids have solidified out
> in making other cheeses.  The process is somewhat
> involved and the yield is very small.  I have made
> my own cheeses for many years now but seldom
> bother with riccotta unless I just precipate it out
> with lemon juice for quick and dirty lemon riccotta.

I believe industrially, ricotta is made from milk and a small amouint of
cream, rather than from whey. We made some The Old-Fashioned Whey...I
mean, Way, a couple of weeks ago. As you say, the yield is low. We got
probably a little over a pound from about five gallons of whey.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com