SC - Sabina Welser -- online and available in print

Thomas Gloning gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Tue Mar 21 15:21:59 PST 2000

I talked to the managing director of Carl Winter Verlag in Heidelberg,
and he gave me permission to web the original text of Sabina Welser. The
text is at:
http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/sawe.htm

The printed book is still available:

- -- Das Kochbuch der Sabina Welserin. Hg. von Hugo Stopp. Mit einer
Übersetzung von Ulrike Gießmann. Heidelberg: Universitätsverlag Carl
Winter, 1980 (Germanische Bibliothek: N.F.: Reihe 4, Texte).
ISBN: 3-533-02905-0, DM 20,--.

The printed version contains an additional introduction by the editor
Hugo Stopp and a complete New High German translation by Ulrike
Gießmann. This cookbook is one of the earliest cookbooks written by a
woman and a valuable item for every collection of culinary texts. It is
the only period German cookbook that has been translated into
English/American _completely_ so far. In case you do not read early
German (with some ease), you can use it together with the online
translation of Valoise Armstrong.

Thus, I should like to ask a favor to those of you, who can afford 20
Marks for a German cookbook (I guess 10, 12 or 15 Dollars, depends on
where you live): if you are able to buy the printed book I would be
happy. Many publishers nowadays worry about electronic texts on the web.
However, if there are cases, where an internet version of a text somehow
promotes the printed text, it would be very much easier for (people
like) me to web further texts...

Thanks for your attention,
Thomas