SC - Camp baking

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Mar 21 22:12:13 PST 2000

I have the version of the Coleman camp oven that sits on top of your heat
source, presumably your Coleman camp stove.  It works very well, but as
Lainie said, it can be tough to regulate the temperature.  The first year
I used one, I was catering the Queen's Tea at Pennsic, and was baking
scones in camp the day after a huge rainstorm.  I found that I could
drape my wet towels around the oven, which dried them out, while at the
same time helping to regulate the oven temp, and kept the wind from
blowing the heat away.  It worked so well, that I was finished drying my
laundry well before I was finished baking, so I actually ended up
re-wetting some towels to do the rest!  My oven just came home from Gulf
Wars, this is the second year it has gone, and I have never been!
I have never heard of the kind of oven Huette describes, but love the one
I have that folds about 2 inches flat.
Christianna

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 22:02:26 -0500 "Robin Carroll-Mann" <harper at idt.net>
writes:
> I'm thinking of getting a Coleman oven as an accessory to my stove.
> Has anyone used this?  Does it do a decent job, especially on bread?
>
> (Yes, I know that one can bake in a firepit with a Dutch oven, etc.,
> but
> that doesn't really work for me.)
>

> Lady Brighid ni Chiarain

I have a Coleman oven that I recently bought from a
church white elephant sale.  It cost me $5.  All that
I have done with it has been to turn is on to see if
it worked.  I haven't baked with it yet.  But it
appears to me to be more like the broiler in a
conventional oven.  The flame comes from the top.  Not
below.  It also has a "burner" on the top, which you
can use to heat stuff in pots, because it uses the
escaping heat from the oven.  I now have to buy a full
propane bottle to find out how long one bottle will
last, and then I will try to bake something in it.

Huette