SC - German Spa:etzle,

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Wed Mar 22 21:57:22 PST 2000

I believe it is period.  There are no recipes for any ordinary noodles or
dumplings in the Rheinfranisches Kochbuch, but it's like the other cooks
in other countries say:  these are things every cook or housewife knows
how to make.

There are recipes in a book I have that wasn't published until 1709, but
the material came from a 16thC. manuscript.  There is, however, some
'updating' to some of the recipes, IMO.

I'm trying to remember which source I've used for documentation.  Thomas
can give us a better idea as to when the word appears.  Spaetzle is
especially a Bavarian noodle, but I don't know its history in other
regions.  You can get it everywhere, and have been able to for a long
time, but I don't know the speed of travel of regional favorites.

OK, found the documentation from a class I taught in the Midrealm.
Fahrenkamp gives his source as the 14th C. Tegernsee Cloister, but does
not give the original, and I don't have a copy of this, although I would
love to.

The Stuttgarter Kochkolleg gives the possible origin as 13th C., derived
from Italian workers who brought their favorite pasta recipes with them
to Germany.  The Italian word, _spezzatina_, refers to little cuttings of
noodle dough.  Niccolo, does this go along with your Italian research?

Hank, you can come help make it if you get to Pennsic.  ;-)

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com