SC - Period food is tasty class

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Mar 23 06:57:21 PST 2000

Hellow Anne-Marie and all,
	I am currently waging a campaign to introduce the concept of bringing
period or perioid foods to our quarterly potlucks (we hold some kind of
party or social on the months with 5 Wednesdays in them, the 1st and 3rd
being business meetings, the 2nd and 4th being class nights).  I have
been sending a recipe or 3 a day for about a week to encourage folks to
consider bringing period food instead of chocolate chip cookies and nacho
chips (fine munchies in their own right, but getting really old!)  I have
posted the "cheese list" that came across here some time ago, in hopes of
getting the folks who are likely to just go to Kroger and buy something
fast an idea of what they can still get that is more appropriate to the
occaision.  I thought I would similarly post a list of period veggies,
and some dried and fresh fruit suggestions.  I would love your list of
no-cook ideas for the period-phobic (or at least, the ones who WANT to do
better ;)
	My protege also suggested that we set up two tables, one done up
feast-like with tablecloth, candles, metal and wooden flatware; and do
another one in something like a plastic red-and-white check tablecloth.
Use them for the period vs. non-period foods that come in the door.  At
one time, we had a policy to encourage folks to come to meetings in garb.
 We made the ones who didn't garb up sit in the back of the room, and the
ones who made any attempt at all were encouraged to sit up front.  In
light of this, (which was several years ago) I felt that we could
segregate the food and not hurt anybody's feelings too much!
	This is all an outcropping of having too much hamburger left over.  We
decided to make several dishes out of ground meat.  We also have several
pork shoulders we smoked left over, so, we decided to pull the meat and
serve it hot but plain, and serve a variety of sauces with their
documentation around the side.  I'll even bring the bottle of BBQ sauce
that's leftover from the picnic, just so the truly phobic (and the BBQ
lovers) can have it, too.  I hope this will encourage people to
experiment with some new tastes.
	Any other ideas out there?  We're talking next Wednesday here, so send
them on.
	Thanks, as always, for the many invaluable discussions, ideas, and
resources that come from THE LIST.  ;)
	Christianna

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 22:21:32 -0800 Anne-Marie Rousseau <acrouss at gte.net>
writes:
> Gwyneth says:<<
> > I'm going to do a "period food is tasty" class, with recipes,
> tasting, and
> > discussion on period verses periodish.
>

> sounds very similar to my "food and eating int he middle ages" ithra
> class.
> Stuff the students full of yummy medieval treats, give them a
> handout that
> has all the recipes for them to make later, along with some "nocook"
> idea
> for potlucks (ie what can you find at the Safeway to bring that's
> not
> cheese whiz or potato salad).
>
> seems to be a big hit...the class sells out pretty much every time!
>
> good luck,
> --Anne-Marie

> SCA-Cooks".

===