SC - Mediaeval cookbooks to begin with

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 23 07:17:54 PST 2000

I think we are going into a one size fits all discussion and don't even
realize it.

IMHO the books you begin with depends a lot of what you already know, and
how you operate down the information road.

For me, I have a very basic knowledge of any sort of history, especially
medieval history, and as far as being able to tell old English writing from
middle english writing(is that the right term?) I am even more clueless.
So I started out with Pleyn Delit, I also have Redon, and various other
books.  I have cooked two feasts, from Pleyn Delit and other already
redacted sources and now I am getting  ready to do my third feast and I
said, gee there has to be more to this than pulling some recipes out of a
book, and making sure they happen.

The third feast I want to take recipes, all from the same source, redact
them, etc. so I have now went to the primary sources which I am thankful
for here at Cornell University.

If I would've started my cooking adventure by someone handing me primary
sources saying go figure these out and cook, I never would've done my first
feast.

I am sure there are others, perhaps even people in my own Dominion who
would've started with the primary sources to begin with, but as I said for
me it was a case of starting with something I could do and then branching out.

	Angeline
Lady Angeline di Aquila           (mka Angie Malone)
Seneschal--Dominion of Myrkfaelinn, Kingdom of Aethelmearc
member of the Order of Keystone
interested in sewing, cooking, and thrown weapons.
http://www.lightlink.com/merellia/myrkfaelinn/