SC - mushrooms

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Thu Mar 23 07:45:53 PST 2000

    I cook professionally, and as far as white button mushrooms go, I
usually just rinse them where necessary under running water, caps up.
Sometimes they come in pretty filthy, poorly trained harvesters, I suspect.
Never had a problem with excessive water absorption, but then, I never soak
them, either. If they get wet, you want to use them as soon as possible, or
cover them with a moist towel.
    Don't wash Portobellos or any of the spongiform fungi, as they will suck
liquids up like mad and you'll have a fungoo (no fun a-tall!) instead. You
can marinade them, though, (I do a balsamic marinade for Portobellos that'll
blow your toenails off) for an interesting treatment, especially if you
grill them.

    Sieggy