SC - mushrooms

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Mar 23 09:55:09 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/23/00 4:15:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ahrenshav at yahoo.com writes:

<<
 > Commercially purchased mushrooms should never be
 > washed. The are grown in
 > STERILE medium and they should only be wiped with a
 > cloth to remove any bits
 > clinging to them. Washing them causes them to soak
 > up large amounts of liquid
 > which is not a good thing.
 >
 > Ras
 >  >>
    Just to throw another opinion in: I read, a good while ago, a blurb about
someone who had tested this by weighing the 'shrooms before and after
washing. They found little to no difference in the weight, which would seem
to disprove the theory........ I *think* this was either one of the cooking
magazines that do this kind of thing, or in a "kitchen science" type of book.
But it's been WAY too long to remember distinctly! :-(
    I admit I was delighted to hear this, because washing the critters is
easier for me than wiping them. No, I'm not panicky about the medium they are
grown in, but the ones I have available often have stubborn bits of it that
don't come off easily without lots of water. I'd just as soon have my
mushrooms sans particulate, thank you! ;-)

                Ldy Diana