SC - What Judges Look For @ A&S

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Wed Mar 22 20:14:14 PST 2000

Hallo folks!

I have recieved permission to post to this list the grading criteria portion
of a missive which is essentially a primer for Judging at this year's Ice
Dragon. It was posted to the AE-laurel list. If ya'll are interested, I will
do so.  Mistress Filipia (formerly known as Cupbreaker) here in Aethelmearc,
is the author of the missive, and she thinks nothing in it is top secret---a
judges handbook has been available for yonks here, and this is simply a
brief recap of that handbook, written by Mistress Cohri Ghora.

My thinking here is that it will help answer questions folks have been
asking about what judges are looking for in A and S entries. It will answer
them quite specifically! While it won't (probably, due to lateness) be of
any use for Ice Dragon entries, it is never the less a great tool to measure
your entry against for other competitions. In essence, it takes the mystery
out of the process, letting you know what you have to do to get maximum
scores (not taking into account the other items also entered in the
competition, acts of DOG, and Judges personal preferences).

If you want it, I'll post from home tonight or tomorrow am. I meant to
forward it to work once Filipia gave me the green light, but got a little
tied up in other things.

FYI, to those who don't know, Ice Dragon may be the longest continual
running A and S competition in the Knowne world. It happens every March in
the Barony of the Rhydderich Hael (Buffalo, NY), and happened long before
Aethlemearc was a Kingdom, as part of the East's A and S Rota. There are so
many entries that there is actually a Pentathalon, where you can enter five
objects in Five categories, and be a grand Pent winner, even if none of your
entries placed first elsewhere, provided the scores are high enough.

Let me know. I won't bother if no one is interested.

Cheers.

Aoife