SC - now vegemite info!

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Fri Mar 24 17:22:25 PST 2000

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> I've heard of vegemite, and even seen it for sale in a local store, but what on _earth_ does it taste like?
> --Maire

Well it _looks_ like a chocolate-type spread & an overseas friend of mine thought it was & promptly stuck her finger into jar & took a large dollop into mouth . . . and damn near choked since the predominate taste of vegemite is salt ;-)

It is a yeast extract blended with vegetables & salt to make a thick dark paste.  Basically, if you took a vegetable stock cube & added a little water & brewers yeast you would possibly approach its taste.

Vegemite is pretty much a national institution in Oz (Hey even MacDonalds has vegemite packets to use with your McMuffin ;-).  However, there is always a raging debate on how to eat it.  In _my_ experience, one should take the tiniest dab on knife & wave it at the
bread/toast which makes a perfectly palatable spread.  Others however coat their toast thickly, much to my amazement at the ability of their tastebuds to withstand such an onslaught ;-0

Lorix

PS:  For those interested in the history of vegemite may I present its theme song, 100s of Australians have grown up with this I might add since its introduction in the 1920s:
"We're happy little Vegemites as bright as bright can be
 We all enjoy our Vegemite for breakfast, lunch and tea
 Our mummy says we're growing stronger every single week
 Because we love our Vegemite,
 We all adore our Vegemite,
 It puts a rose in every cheek."

And for those who wish to know more about this wonderful invention (and have more time on their hands than is good for them ;-), the following is an extract from the official vegemite site in Oz:
"Yeast extract because it is four or five times more concentrated
than yeast, is therefore one of the richest known sources of
the vitamin B group. In addition to being vitamin B rich, yeast
extract also contains other essential constituents such as
protein and minerals, making Vegemite an excellent addition to
the family diet.

A spread of Vegemite (5g) on a slice of bread will provide the
following percentages of daily vitamin needs:

 % Proportion of Recommended
   Daily Intake (RDI) per 5g
                        Per 100g
Thiamin:
                   50%
                          11.0mg
Niacin:
                   25%
                          50.0mg
Riboflavin:
                   25%
                           8.6mg

Thiamin

(B1) plays an essential role in converting
carbohydrates to energy, as well as being
important for growth and normal functioning
of the nervous system and heart.

Riboflavin

(B2) is also important for the release of
energy from foods, in particular protein
metabolism. Riboflavin is essential for the
development and repair of tissues, including
the skin and eyes and is necessary for
growth.

Niacin

(B3) is necessary for normal energy
metabolism.

Good Source of Folate

Folate is another B group vitamin with
several important functions. Folate is
essential for the formation of red blood cells
and the production of enzymes and other
body proteins. A deficiency in folate results
in a type of anaemia, which can cause
weakness, tiredness, diarrhoea and weight
loss. In babies and young children growth
may be affected.

Folate also plays a vital role in the growth of
a developing embryo. Research has revealed
that the risk of having a baby with a neural
tube defect can be reduced up to 70% if
women increase their intake of folate.

Low in Fat & Kilojoules

Vegemite is fat free and low in kilojoules,
supplying only 38kj per teaspoon. "