SC - More than you probably want to know about corn bread

RichSCA at aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Sat Mar 25 19:07:48 PST 2000

Since MY favorite cookbooks are 1850-1950 (or so) I pulled out one that I
happen to have with me in the RV.  It is The American Heritage Cookbook and
Illustrated History of American Eating and Drinking.  (copyright 1964)

It reads:

There are hundreds of varieties of corn in America, all of which are derived
from five families: flint, dent, soft, sweet and popcorn.  The two most
popular corns for bread are flint and Boone County White, a dent corn.  Flint
corn is grown throughout the North; in the Southern portion of the Corn Belt
- - from Ohio through southern Tennessee - farmers grow Boone County White, a
species originated on the banks of the Wabash River by James Riley, a
relative of the poet James Whitcomb Riley.  This difference in northern and
southern corn breads - it would be inexcusable to make spoon Bread with
northern flint corn.

William Strachey, in this "Historie of Travell into Virginia Britania"
written in 1612, observed that the Indians "receave the flower in a platter
of wood, which, blending with water, they make into flatt, broad cakes...they
call apones, which Covering with Ashes till they be baked... and then washing
them in faire water, lett dry with their own heate".  This Corn Pone, quickly
picked up by the white settlers, was usually called pone when kept out of the
ashes.  Following the Indian tradition, when the same basic corn bread was
baked in the hot ashes of an open fire, it was called ashcake.

The book then gives recipes for Corn Pone, Corn Sticks, Hoecake, Spoon Bread,
Hominy Bread, Cracklin' Bread and Spider Corncake.

Rayne

In a message dated 3/25/00 6:02:17 AM Central Standard Time,