SC - Spoon bread OOP - recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Mar 25 21:41:56 PST 2000

RichSCA at aol.com wrote:

> Spoon Bread:
>
> 5 Tbsp Butter
> 1 cup water-ground corn meal   (I have no idea about the "water-ground" part)
> 1 tsp salt
> 2 cups boiling water
> 1 cup cold milk
> 4 eggs

Hahhh. Interesting. I've never made spoon bread, but the recipes I've
seen seem to use ingredients pretty similar to this, but with the eggs
separated, with the yolks mixed with the other ingredients and cooked to
a sort of corny custard, the whites beaten till mostly stiff, then
folded in and the whole thing baked more or less as a souffle. Must be
another of those Yankee abominations ;  ).

Re water ground corn meal: I haven't used or seen this, but I'm familiar
with water-ground rice flour, which is really fine compared to other
grinding methods. If it's a similar process, the grain is soaked and
ground while wet to a very fine, smooth paste, than the moisture is
allowed to drain off after the solids precipitate out, then the paste is
dried partially or completely.

This would make sense especially in a spoonbread recipe involving
aerated egg whites. One reason (maybe not the main one, but one, still)
the lift on products using things like stone-ground wheat flour is
generally unsatisfactory is because the air cells are damaged by sharp
edges and points on the coarser granules of flour.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com