SC - Re: SC- Macrows vs the computer

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 26 05:53:32 PST 2000

My earliest recipe for macrows is one in in
Elisabeth Aryton's ENGLISH PROVENTIAL
COOKING which she states is from a feast
of Richard II in 1390.  I don't see eating it
with the fingers though as it had cheese too.
MACARONI CHEESE! Jesse!

"Macrows.  Take and make a thin foil of dough, and carve
it into pieces, and cast them on boiling water, and seeth
it well.  Take cheese and grate it and butter cast beneath
and above.... and serve it forth."

She references C. Anne Wilson on the pasta, but is not
clear whether or not the recipe on preparation is also from
Wilson's references.  She mentions two more instances
of "maccharoni" in English cooking prior to the eighteenth
century.  Does anyone have any idea where she pulled the
above recipe from?  Also, grating infers a rather hard cheese.
What kind of cheese would likely have been used?  Cheddar
is definitely not right as cheddaring is not period.

Akim Yaroslavich
"no glory comes without pain"