SC - Platina meat roll w/questions

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 27 20:15:25 PST 2000

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
<<SNIP>>  I think I've found a good candidate in
Platina Book VI, #9:

Meat Roll from Tame Animals

...take as much lean meat as you want (calf, capon, hen or the like)
and cut it up fine with small knives.  Mix veal fat into this meat well
with spices.  When it has been wrapped in thin crusts, bake in an oven.
 When they are almost cooked, put on the roll two egg yolks...beaten
with a paddle with a little verjiuce and very rich juice.  Some add a
bit of saffron for looks...

I can spice the meat with ginger, cinnamon & pepper, and add a bit of
fat, egg and verjuice to combat the previous dry cooking (and bind it).
 But I have a few questions:

Would the thin crusts be pie crust? Pastry? Phyllo dough? Do we know?

What is "very rich juice" (put on the crust w/eggs and verjuice)?

Am I right in thinking of this as a spiral roll that could be sliced
into rounds for serving (vs. meat pie or meat surrounded by crust)?  Am
I wrong?  Is there one true way?>>>>>>>>

Thoughts that come to me are these.  1)  the rich juice could be a translational shift that is actually stock or meat juice?  2)  since the text suggests wrapping the meat in "crusts" I would tend to think of several smaller pies, not necessarily hand pies.  3)  the crusts could easily have been a tender crust by that time, but no mention as to exactly what kind of pastry/crust.  4)  there is probably no "one true way" since we are missing some information from the author.  I don't recall off hand if there are other recipes in the text for smaller pies or tart-like things versus large pies, single or double crust.  It is definitely wrapped in crusts, so a free-form tart/pie/pasty of some size would be likely be indicated.

niccolo difrancesco