SC - don't cringe too bad....

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 28 03:54:32 PST 2000

Leslie Lansdowne wrote:

> --as my husband will attest to having graduated #1 in his class
> from Hamburger University 10 years ago (ok, no snickers here---it is a real
> restaurant college.)

Actually, a certification/diploma from the Hallowed Halls of Mac is one
of the most sought-after resume jewels conceivable for management in the
entire hospitality industry, including hotels, airlines, etc. It is a
badge that says that you've been taught by the best to deal with
unreasonable and argumentative people well and with a smile. If the U.N.
had graduates working for them, the world might be in better shape.

That said, however, it often seems that the brains management ratio
makes the fast-food industry overall seem, well, a bit top-heavy.

Some years ago I was in a KFC in Richmond, VA, and paid for a $4.50
purchase with a ten-dollar bill, and received back, in change, $15.50. I
said to the lady behind the counter, "I'm sorry, but I think you've
given me too much change." She stared at me with a blank expression. I
said, "I just gave you ten dollars for my food, and you're giving me not
only my food, but also more money in change than I gave you in the first
place. You gave me ten dollars too much change, and I think you ought to
take it back because I don't want you to have any problems with
management at the end of the day when they count up the money." She
pursed her lips and said, "Y'all ur from New York City, aren't you?"

Somehow I don't see this young lady as going very far in the fast-food industry...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com