SC - Period Ingredients Master List

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Tue Mar 28 09:07:37 PST 2000

I would be worried that this might be taken incorrectly...
"if you make a recipe with only these ingredients, it is automatically period"
We have seen how this is not always true, and that this is a faily common
mistake of cooks new to period cooking.

What would be the purpose of compiling such a list?
If you use a period recipe, then using the ingredients in the recipe
automatically makes your ingredients period....

I do not see the utility of this list, except as a strictly academic excercise.
If however, they could be put into a time line, where the regions and dates
of earliest usages are listed, then this could be a valuable teaching tool,
to show the movement and evolution of ingredients.
I do not believe such a survey of ingredients has been done.

brandu