SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2047 - egg grading

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 19:58:25 PST 2000

The bright light--yes.  This is called "candling" from the days when a guy
would sit there holding up each egg in front of a candle.  The light would
shine through and if there were a developing embryo inside, it would show
also, and you'd say "Yuk a pooh!"  "Give that to the dog!" or some other
thing like that.  Me mither telled me about this whan I was young...  Me
mither having been born in 1907, and her mither knowing how to cut for the
pip (whatever that is) on chickens. Currently I think they use an electric
light and maybe a compupeter...
Devra the Baker
Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com