SC - don't cringe too bad....

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Mar 29 05:27:06 PST 2000

I was assuming that whoever brought up the subject of ham knew that it didn't
get fermented in the strictest sense.  Depending on where you are, it gets hit
with either a sugar-based or salt-based "cure" then smoked.  I grew up with the
salt-based...my uncles and grandfather all used this method.  Once the smoking
process is complete, the hams/bacon/sausage are hung in a cool dry place until
needed.

Kiri