SC - saffron

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Mar 29 06:11:26 PST 2000

Michael Newton wrote:

> Did I read this correctly 1oz of Saffron for $54.95? I knew it was an exotic
> spice, but "mein gott" the tariff on this must be tremendous.  That is a
> huge price to pay for a spice.
>
> Thorbjorn
> not educated in these things

Considering the necessity to pluck the little stamens by hand, and the
fact that it takes many, many thousands to make a pound of saffron (I've
heard several numbers ranging from 75,000 to 225,000), combined with the
fact that it's pretty potent stuff, with a little going a long way, it's
no wonder the stuff is expensive.

That said, though, $55 seems like a lot. I can get it for something like
$25 an ounce for the good stuff, in a one-ounce tin, dated as this
year's harvest if I show up at the right time of year, at an Indian
market within walking distance of my home.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com