SC - Really weird recipe -OT, OOP

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Wed Mar 29 19:19:49 PST 2000

When I found the following recipe in National Gardening, a magazine vaguely
affiliated with Burpee, I felt that I had to share it with you. Really.
    This is from a monthly column on cooking as related to gardening, and
this issue (Mar/Apr '00) is by William Woys Weaver.

        Eggless Lemon Curd

    1 pound parsnips
    2 Cups sugar
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    6 tablespoons lemon juice
    finely grated zest of 1 lemon

1) Peel and chop parsnips.  Place in a 2-qt pan with water to cover, and boil
until soft, about 25 min.
2) Drain parsnips, reserving about 1 Cup of cooking liquid.
3) Puree parsnips in blender or food processor, adding reserved cooking
liquid if the puree is too dry.  (Puree should resemble mashed potatoes.)
4) Put puree into clean pan with remaining ingredients, and cook over
medium-high heat, whisking from  time to time, until thick and glossy (about
20 min).
5) Pour into clean glass container and refrigerate.
6) Will keep for up to 2 weeks.  For best flavor, bring to room temperature
before serving as a spread or cake filling.

Devra the Baker (who may prefer lima beans after all--)

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com