SC - Polenta and Cornmeal

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Thu Mar 30 05:11:49 PST 2000

As I understand it, and this is off the top of my pointy little head, lye is
used to dehull, for lack of a better term, corn which is made into hominy.
This is why I tend to avoid white hominy and white hominy grits. While I'm
sure that there are those that have eaten white hominy for years to no ill
effect, and there may even be someone out there that thinks me overly
paranoid, the idea itself is unappetizing. For the record, I was raised on
white hominy grits, and ate them nearly every morning of my formative years,
and still do on occasion when eating out. Some things you can't shake.

I DO eat white speckle heart grits or (more often) yellow corn grits when
cooking at home. I find them most often in the ethnic section of the local
grocery or in one of the local health food places OR delights of delights, at
one of the water powered grist mills that dot the area down here. I
understand that a lot of the Hispanic type corn products like corn tortillas
are treated with lime for the same reason we use lye, but I have also read
that this in fact frees up a lot of the nutrients that would in fact exit
with the fiber otherwise when eating corn products.

BTW, on the corn question, I tend to like yellow corn, I find the flavor of
both the meal and the corn itself when served as a vegetable to be more full.
Too many of the white corn varieties have been bread down to insipidness IMO.
 YMMV, my Mother and I argue this point every now and then, as she likes
white.

Corwyn