SC - Re: OT: Naming

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Thu Mar 30 16:44:07 PST 2000

Murkial wrote:

>Do you know where one can find a copy of this list.  I am trying to decide
>on a name for my second son and my husband and I have Nordic heritage and
>would love to use a Nordic name.  (And I would like him to consider a name
>other than Magnus Thor).

Sure, try:

http://brunnur.stjr.is/interpro/dkm/dkm.nsf/5bce9616df3b107a00256583003c1872
/25bcc0b88cd23fda0025668a00607d96?OpenDocument

then click on Eiginnöfn karla for approved male names. Note, however, that
not all the names on the list are Nordic by origin. You can ask me if you
want to know more about any of them.

There is also a list of a few dozen names that have not been approved - one
of them is Satania. Can´t say I´m surprised ... just wonder what kind of
parents would want their little girl to start life with a name like that?

BTW,  Icelandic naming laws allow a maximum of three names per child - used
to be only two.

Nanna