SC - fermented meats

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Fri Mar 31 00:40:44 PST 2000

Ras wrote:
>There is also the process of the 'pork' barrel which I grew up with in
which
>the fresh hams are immersed in a brine solution and stored in a cool place.
>The pieces are fished out of the liquid and used as needed. By the odor it
>gives off, I would say some sort of fermentation is taking place.

And Faroese skerpikjøt, wind-dried mutton which is said by connoisseurs to
be ready "about half an hour before the wife and kids can´t stand the smell
any more and move out of the house". (No, I haven´t tried to make it;
Icelandic mutton is no good, you got to have Faroese mutton for this to work
properly.)

Nanna