SC - four humours/food

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Mon May 1 07:05:07 PDT 2000

Humoral medicine was alive and well as late as the nineteenth century.  Think of all the cures that involved leeches, herbals, and balms.  Lots of that came through the traition of the humors and there conditions.  Bloodletting was to drain out the 'bad humors' and let new, strong ones 'grow' or 'be cooked' in their place.

niccolo difrancesco

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
<<<<<I just stumbled across what I believ to be a reference to humoral theory in the Larousse Gastronomique:  "At the beginning of the 18th century, Louis Lemery said in his 'Treatise on Food': 'Artichokes suit elderly people at all times, and those of a phlegmatic and melancholy disposition'.  Is this a hold over of the Middle Ages Humoral Theory, or just good "modern" medicine?  Ask Mr. Owl...
Balthazar of Blackmoor>>>>>>>>

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.