SC - Documented Substitutions (Long)

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon May 1 11:03:53 PDT 2000

TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

> "Corn" is a generic term for all cereals in Europe.  You seem to assume the
>  reference in Homer is to maize (Zea mays), also known as Indian corn.
>  Homer's corn was not Indian corn, but emmer, spelt and barley.

I have been corrected on this statement, and will now have to go back through
my archives of recipes with a more investigative eye...some of those recipes
just didn't seem to taste "right" with yellow corn in them...Perhaps using
another grain would yeild a better dish.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.