SC - RE: The top 10 icks list

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon May 1 18:07:42 PDT 2000

In the South besides pies, I was rasied eating pumpkin pan fried to a mush
either sweet with brown sugar & cinnamon or plain with salt, pepper &
butter.  We also ate it baked in a cassarole with marshmillows & pecans on
top.  I have also had it as a soup & served  boilled in chunks.  The Native
Americans from my part of the country probably ate theirs boilled, baked or
roasted since they did not have frying pans till after the other side of my
family came over from Europe.  My Grandmothers were all traditional cooks
who made food the way they were taught to as children.  Granny Edwards died
in '73 & used to talk about playing in the abandoned Slave's quarters on
her Grandfather's Plantation in TN, so she was learning to cook close to a
century ago (I think she was born in 1886)   Chris a friend of mine who
also does 17th Century reenactment at a living history musuem in Salem, MA
says that the way she was taught was to clean it out then cook it in it's
shell on a fire with cranberries, squash & wallnuts inside.
Olaf

- ----------
> From: Glenda Robinson <glendar at compassnet.com.au>
> To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org
> Subject: Re: SC - Re:the top 8 icks list
> Date: Monday, May 01, 2000 6:48 PM
>
> For example, the food pumpkin... We in Australia use it as a vegetable,
> baked in chunks (often with the skin on) with the 'taties, or made into a
> soup. You in America use it sweetened as a dessert pie. Now... looking
back
> a few centuries... How WOULD those people have cooked their gourds
(without
> the referrals to their recipes - (I'm going the
not-all-people-could-read,