SC - Re:the top 8 icks list

CorwynWdwd@aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Tue May 2 05:15:31 PDT 2000

Balthazar wrote:

>Let me rephrase that (so it doesn't sound so arrogant):  "...developed, after
>many, many years of study and laborious toil, the ability, which is innate in
>all cooks, though not necessarily unlocked, to instinctively know how to
>change....etc.."

No,  it didn't sound arrogant.  If you've got it, flaunt it.  If you worked
really hard for it, flaunt it a little more  ;-)   I'n my Mother's case we
would really make an effort to cook whenever we could in order to have an
edible meal.  It was literally a case of
"Bacon Flambe......yum, yum."
It's not that she didn't try.  We sent her to cooking lessons.  We tried
teaching her ourselves, she just never got the hang of it at all.  It was a
very sad series of events.  Some people can't learn to cook for nuts, some
have an inherent ability.
She did look at me strangely when she saw me in my chefs uniform recently.
She couldn't really grasp that someone with her genes could become a
qualified pastry chef.  She was even more bemused when I passed the course
last week. (Sorry shameless tooting of my own horn there).

>Does that sound a little more realistic?  Actually, I have always felt
>fortunate to have a natural flair for cooking, just as some folks are
>naturally good at math.  Now, if it will only transfer over to medieval
>cooking....
>That remains to be seen, I guess.

Continue to feel lucky.  You don't have to go through what my Mother did.
The tragic thing was that she was aware she was a hideous cook and was
trying desperately to rectify that situation.  In the end she was content
to let everyone else cook.  Some people are not natural cooks, some people
are.

- -Katerine