SC - Chocolate documentation?

grizly@mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Tue May 2 05:27:56 PDT 2000

As with hops, I suspect that the volitiles are susceptible to the blue range of the visible light spectrum.  The photoreactive materials in the spice are going to fire off in the presence of full spetrum white light as well as any portion with the blue range.  Therefore, green glass will let it pass while brown will block most/all of it.  You might try using some tinted contact paper if you don't have resources for all new glass jars.

I also find that the freezer is my friend.  Spices will last years in the freeze that would og in months on the shelf.  A few small ball jars and I'm off to the races.

pacem et bonum,

niccolo

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> In a message dated 5/1/00 12:22:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

> By the way, on the subject of storage, I have found that my spices last
> longer
>  when stored in colored bottles.  To that end, (and with a great deal of
> protest
>  from my lord) I have used Mickey beer bottles (barrel-shaped, large mouth,
> green
>  in color) and found corks to fit the mouths.  They really have worked well
> over
>  the years.  Phillip keeps asking me if I don't need more!

You may want to consider changing the bottles you store your spices in, and
see if a brown bottle doesn't keep them longer... It is my experience that
when sunlight passes through green glass, it can cause some kind of reaction.
 I know this to be the case with beer (from scholarly research only, you
understand, and never any practical experience with the stuff).  My
coriander, powdered ginger and cardamom pods all went rancid after about a
week in green glass.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.