SC - Boiled Peanuts

kelsaborg kelsaborg at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 04:11:01 PDT 2000

> Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 23:36:50 EDT
> From: CBlackwill at aol.com
> Subject: Re: SC - Instinctive cookery
>
> In a message dated 5/2/00 4:03:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
> writes:
>
> >  I don't know if there is a such thing as 'instinctive' cookery
> >  though.
>
> I prefer to refer to it as "innate", since I firmly believe that it exists in
> everyone.  It just takes, as you have mentioned, a lot of practice and
> observation to bring it to the fore.
>
> Balthazar of Blackmoor

Hmmm. This is interesting. Although I prefer to think of it as intuitive
rather than innate or instinctive, I have met some people who, it seems,
will simply never learn. From what I've seen, there's a level of
observation and deduction required to progress from the "this is what
happens when I do this" stage to the "this is what _will happen_ when I
do this" stage. To some extent experience is a factor, but I don't think
that's all of it.

I wonder, though, if it's really the case that everyone has this ability
and experience brings it out. Mightn't it be that they simply acquire
the ability with experience, or perhaps the people without it become
discouraged and don't get the experience and so don't develop the
ability? Does it matter? If a souffle falls in the forest and there
isn't anyone there to see it, did it make a splash?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com