SC - OT-SPICES/SMOKERS

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed May 3 07:27:19 PDT 2000

All,
I had an absolutely delightful experience yesterday at the Museum of
Natural History in DC.  There is an exhibit on the Vikings there which I
highly recommend to all of you, if there is any way you can get to this
area.  It has gathered artifacts from many museums throughout Europe,
Canada and the US to document who the Vikings were, where they
originated, how they lived, where they traveled and popular
misconceptions/fantasies about them.  The exhibit also has a catalogue
that is so thick that I am still suffering from aches and pains from
hauling it around after I left the exhibit.

There is a reconstruction of a Viking longboat, about 1/4 size or so,
and reconstructions of both an upper-class Norseman's and a Finnish
woman's garb, not to mention a fully reconstructed warp-weighted
loom.They have even built an area that resembles the interior of a long
house, and have a story-telling session going on that you can sit and
listen to (great for the kids).

The exhibit runs from now until mid-August.  The museum is open from 10
- - 5:30 weekdays and 10 - 4 on Saturday and Sunday.  I believe it is due
to travel elsewhere in the US after it leaves here.  If you are
interested, you can contact the Smithsonian or visit their website.

Kiri