SC - Healthy, Schmealthy

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Wed May 3 07:45:39 PDT 2000

You might try checking at an Amish market for one...I doubt they'll actually have
them out for sale, but you might find someone who would sell you one.  Another
alternative is to try checking antique stores, particularly in rural areas.  I
have one that belonged to my grandmother.  However, be aware that churns don't
always look like the ones you usually see in pictures.  The one I have is shaped
sort of like a barrel on its side.  The lid is on the top of the side, and the
crank which attaches to paddles inside is centered on the end.  I have also seen
churns that are glass jars (5 gallons or so) with a screw on lid through which a
handle turns a stem to which paddles are attached.  I would suspect that the
latter version would probably be the easiest to get into useable shape.

Kiri