SC - Period Butter churn (was Re: memories)

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed May 3 07:52:33 PDT 2000

Thinking about milk....

I can get that really whole milk - the nonhomogenized kind, with the cream
rising to the top.  I've experimented with making butter (and letting the cream
sour a bit first) but have had very little luck with cheese.  I've tried a
couple of the recipies from the florilegium, there's one with lemon juice I
remember.....   does anyone have suggestions for what I might be doing wrong?
Should I be using skimmed milk for cheesemaking?

And, does anyone have suggestions for other recipies I should try with the
cream?  I'm...   well, not quite a novice cook, but not far from it....

Aislinn
Barony of Stonemarche
Meredith, NH, USA