SC - RE: [Pearls] Viking Exhibit

Peters, Rise J. rise.peters at spiegelmcd.com
Wed May 3 07:46:00 PDT 2000

    Just like margarine isn't butter. Emulsified oils, milk solids and
chemicals isn't cheese. Maybe it's just me, but I absolutely refuse to cook
with modern "healthy" food substitutes. If it says 'low-fat', 'low-calorie',
'Lite!', 'reduced fat', or anything even similar to that on the label, I
will NOT buy it, will not have it in my kitchen.
    My attitude is that someday, I'm going to die. Can't be avoided. So,
given that. I'd rather die of something I like, than to expire from a
buildup of chemical wastes and textured soy byproducts in my body.
    Yes, if one lives like a monk, science has proven that you can live
almost forever. The question is, under those circumstances, why on earth
would you WANT to? I think Heinlein put it best - 'Dum Vivimus, Vivamus'!
    I've been known to attach the following disclaimer below the posted
ingredients list at events:

    WARNING! Do not attempt to eat like this at home! This feast is prepared
by a skilled professional. The ingredients used in this feast are completely
natural, and contain no artificial additives or other concession to a
healthy lifestyle. However, those with health issues should bear in mind
that this feast contains enough calories to burn down Rome, and is capable
of clogging up your cardiovascular system worse than the plumbing on a
turkish cruise liner. In the unlikely event that you die during the feast,
you will, at least, go with a smile on your face. Smileage may vary. CAVEAT
GUSTOR!

    In small print, of course.

    Sieggy

> I've seen it elsewhere, but can't remember where.  Or maybe it was one of
those
> "oral" things....I was told this by another cook back when I first started
> cooking in the SCA.
>
> However, carob AIN'T chocolate!  I remember when folks tried to tell me
that
> carob was "just like chocolate" but better for you.  Wrong.  If I can't
have
> chocolate, I don't want carob.  ;-)  (end of rant, she said with a grin)
>
> Kiri
>

> > << Modern merchants sell Carob as an equivalent-substitute for
Chocolate.