SC - Truck Crops

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed May 3 11:05:53 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/3/00 10:24:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time, jlathrop at unm.edu
writes:

>  The question is, is there _any_ evidence for some type of savory pie with
>  a _yeast_ crust (that's going to resemble modern pizza in shape, at
>  least)?  I have a pretty extensive period recipe collection, but nothing
>  comes to mind.

The ancient Greeks used to make what they call puls...a flat bread, cooked on
hot rocks and used as a dish for eating other foods.  The Etruscans made a
similar dish, onto which they had placed numerous Etruscan favorites (very
similar to the modern pizza sans sauce).  All of my references are modern,
however (The frugal gourmet cooks three ancient cuisines, Larousse
Gastronomique, Table d'hote, etc...)

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Words are Trains for moving past what really has no Name.