SC -pomegranites and strawberries

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Wed May 3 12:41:10 PDT 2000

>> Do pomegranates keep long in a 'root cellar' to last into early
spring?<<

You might have the answer, there.  I'm remembering a pomegranite that
'got lost' in a back corner of the frig, behind some bowl that always
lives there. (Contains wild blueberries that fermented and turned
themselves into a vinegar that never goes bad)  The outside was pretty
well dried out when I checked it, but the grains inside could still be
used as garnish.  That's a very protective shell the pomegranite uses.
I would question the idea of the 'grain' being the pomegranite seed
without its red juice.  That part never seems edible, and it doesn't look
pretty, either.

Also, the pomegranites would be imported.  If the strawberries in the
recipe were growing in England, given the source of the recipe, June or
July would make a good guess.  Wouldn't that be autumn in North Africa?
I wonder if the pomegranites were ever oiled or waxed to keep them fresh
over long journies?

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com