SC - Bal's Sooo Funny

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 17:08:28 PDT 2000

- --- Bronwynmgn at aol.com wrote:
> Daylight Time,
> gryphon at carlsbadnm.com writes:
>
> << Wouldn't a variation be possible using mashed
> turnips as a topping?  IIRC
>  turnips were used in many of the same ways as
> potatoes are now...yes, no?? >>
>
> I have never personally seen a recipe that uses
> mashed turnips as a sealing
> layer for baking something?  Has anyone else?
>
> Brangwayna Morgan

I don't feel that taking a modern recipe and
exchanging all the non-period foods with period foods
magically makes that recipe period.  As Brangwayna
properly points out that the method of making this
dish also is not period.  And we have had long
discussions previously about whether or not period
stews had veggies in them or not.  As Cariadoc and
others have pointed out, there are no period meat
stews that have veggies in them other than the
occasional onion or mushroom.  It is likely that these
could be considered more as a seasoning than veggie.

Huette