An Test was Re: SC - Truck Crops

Sat May 6 20:57:24 PDT 2000

Sure, some recipes I can sub in good veggie broth for the
mutton/meat/chicken broth the original recipe calls for, but some of them
are obviously meant to be meat dishes, ie rys of flessche?

Right, but read the bit in Chiquart--from Cariadoc's site--where he talks
about the substitutions the physicians call for, or eliminate.  He is one
cook who is prepared to make vegetarian or vegan food [doesn't call it
that, of course] out of regular mixtures for fasts or illness.

sni[s from my article:
 Mistress Elizabeth’s copy can be found on the Internet, at
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html.

	Chiquart gives us our documentation for important personages who
do not eat meat:
"And as at such a feast there could be some very high, puissant, noble,
venerable and honorable lords and ladies who do not eat meat, for these
there must be fish, marine and fresh-water, fresh and salt, in such
manner as one can get them."

	Of course, he substitutes fish, but he also has a number of
vegetable dishes that can be eaten by ovo-lacto vegetarians, or those who
eat eggs and cheese and other milk products.  There are some recipes in
his work and in other cookery books which are, or could be, made totally
vegetarian.

>From Chiquart
[Latin] Note: for the sick.
And first a restorative, a recise, an almond butter, a green purée of
spinach, quinces in pastry, a couleys, pears cooked without touching
coals or water, a plumeus of apples, oatmeal, chickpeas, semolina,
barley.
And then there are the Cathars....you can make it medieval, of course,
but we have to burn you all at the stake when dinner is over.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com