SC - Recipe for good small Pork or chicken pies

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Sat May 6 17:54:17 PDT 2000

> Bear wrote:
>
> >BTW, Root also says, "...fagioli refers specifically to the New World
> bean."
> >Fagioli also refers to the black-eyed pea, which is definitely Old World
> in
> >origin.
>
> When were black eyed peas introduced, if ever, to Europe? Were they
> eaten in North Africa in Medieval times, i.e., would they have been
> eaten in North Africa after 600 and before 1600? I've got this bag of
> 'em in the freezer...

The term "phaseolus" from which from which "fagioli" is derived appears in
Roman writings.  From context it appears to refer to kidney shaped beans
which are distinct from "faba" or fava beans (Vicia faba).   While this does
not preclude some variety of fava being the bean referenced, it does
demonstrate that the Romans acknowledged a difference.  The term appears in
Roman writings after the beginning of major trade with Africa which
increases the probability that they were writing about some form of the
black-eyed pea.

The black-eyed pea (Vigna unguiculata var. sinensis (IIRC)) is a bean of
Asian origin with several major varieties, including the yard-long bean (V.
unguiculata var. sesquipedalis).  Phaseolus likely refers to any of these
related plants.

For visual evidence of their use at the end of the 16th Century, take a look
at Annibale Carracci's The Bean Eater (Il Mangafagiolo).

It should be noted that while the black-eyed pea was eaten in Italy within
period, and probably before, there is no evidence I have encountered to show
it being used elsewhere in Europe.

> Anahita al-shazhiyya

Bear