SC - Americans and corn (was: Food guessing game)

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon May 8 07:10:41 PDT 2000

Ras,
I find your commentary most illuminating, and agree with you with regard to the
origin of many of the "high holy days" of Christianity.

However, I do question your statements that Christianity did not pervade the
whole population of the various European countries.  Early on, in the Medieval
period, you are probably correct.  But, as time went on, my understanding is that
it became so much a part of the lives of everyone that, when King John was
excommunicated by the Pope and an Interdict was laid on England, the people,
common and noble, all suffered from this as no one could be buried in holy ground
and no one could be married.  The availability of "sanctuary" was another
religious "right" that was available to one and all, again both noble and
peasant.

The use of the holy days from the old religions was a calculated action on the
part of the Church as it made the acceptance of Christianity and its festivals
easier for the common people as they already celebrated those days, and it was an
easy transfer.

Kiri